Job Title: General Merchandise Clerk FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: General Merchandise Revision Date: 03/2009
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Rotates, faces, and replenishes merchandise. Reviews department status and store displays for cleanliness, product quality and quantity.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director, Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations, Assistant Managers, GM Manager, Assistant GM Manager
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
4. Assists customers by: (examples include)
* escorting them to the products they're looking for
* securing products that are out of reach
* loading or unloading heavy items
* making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
* performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
5. Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
6. Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
7. Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
8. Rotates, faces, and replenishes merchandise and ensures highest quality standards are met.
9. Anticipates product needs for the department on a daily basis.
10. Reviews department status for cleanliness, product quality and quantity.
11. Checks in product, puts product away, and may review invoices.
12. Runs the department registers and receives payment, makes change, etc., where applicable.
13. Assists with inventory as requested.
14. Maintains displays in the department and throughout the store.
15. Removes trash in a timely manner.
16. Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
17. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
18. Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Builds displays as needed.
2. Orders product and supplies as necessary.
3. Prices products for customers as necessary.
4. Assists in other areas of store as needed.
5. Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
No education requirement. Over six months to a year of related work experience preferred.
Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and 20 pounds of force frequently, and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
* Must have the ability to solve practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions.
* Ability to do arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
* Must have the ability to file, post, and mail materials; copy data from one record to another; interview to obtain basic information; guide people and provide basic direction.
This position is frequently exposed to dirt. There is occasional exposure to equipment movement hazard and chemicals/solvents. This is a fast paced work environment with significant pressure.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Computer, video terminal, Visa credit card machine, BASS, compactor, power jacks, two-wheeler, produce cart.
Has daily contact with customers and with the general public.
Has access to confidential information including sales and pricing.
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.